A chlorine spill on Friday afternoon sent one person to hospital and forced several Redwood Meadows residents out of their homes.
The chemical spill happened at around 12:30 p.m. at the water treatment plant.
A contract employee at the water treatment plant was overcome by the fumes and complained of shortness of breath and breathing problems.
Redwood Meadows Fire Chief Rob Evans said "We decontaminated him, for this type of spill, it's basically copious amounts of water. So we put him into our decontamination shower and sprayed cold water on him, unfortunately."
He was then transported by Calgary EMS to the hospital in fair condition.
Evans said they evacuated some residents of the small town who were able to take shelter at the local community centre.
"The water treatment plant in Redwood Meadows is at the end of a cul-de-sac. It's recommended that there's an evacuation zone of about 50 metres, or 150 feet. So we evacuated the end of the cul-de-sac, all of the homes in there, it was about 12 people, maybe eight houses that we evacuated people from."
The residents were able to return home by about 7 p.m. Friday.
Residents may still notice a chemical smell in the water over the weekend, but Evans said that should continue to dissipate each day.
Tsuut'ina Nation police, AHS, and the Calgary Fire Department Hazmat team all assisted in the operation.