High River's Jason Glass is in the hunt for his 5th WPCA World title, but he's got his work cut out for him.
At Century Downs Racetrack and Casino Wednesday night it was Layne MacGillivray setting a new track record of 1:21.94 and leads the way in the World Championships.
The wagons were flying down the track under excellent conditions and High River's Jason Glass is sitting in 7th out of 12 in the first of four nights of playoffs.
As far as day money goes, local Dayton Sutherland had an impressive run finishing in 10th with Glass in 15th and Jordie Fike finished in 19th.
The playoffs run for the next three nights with the top four moving on to the final $75,000 dash for cash final on Sunday.
Century Downs "Winners' Zone" Championship Playoff Standings
- Layne MacGillivray - 12 points
- Kurt Bensmiller - 11 points
- Chanse Vigen - 10 points
- Rae Croteau Jr. - 9 points
- Evan Salmond - 8 points
- Ross Knight - 7 points
- Jason Glass - 6 points
- Jamie Laboucane - 5 points
- Kris Molle - 4 points
- Wade Salmond - 3 points
- Chad Fike - 2 points
- Obrey Motowylo - 1 point
Note: Top 4 after Saturday will qualify for the Century Downs "Winners' Zone" Championship Dash.
Day 1 Results
- Layne MacGillivray - Spray Lakes Sawmills - 1:21.94
- Doug Irvine - Recon Metal - 1:22.07
- Chance Bensmiller - Rocky Mountain Aircraft - 1:22.28
- Kurt Bensmiller - Versatile Energy Services Ltd. - 1:22.33
- Troy Dorchester - FBM - Foundation Building Materials - 1:22.51
- Chanse Vigen - Banks Family Auto Ltd. - 1:22.52
- Rae Croteau Jr. - TOMCO Group of Companies - 1:22.55
- Evan Salmond - De Havilland Aircraft of Canada Ltd. - 1:22.62
- Dustin Gorst - Cleanest Way - 1:22.63
- Dayton Sutherland - Friends of Century Downs Racetrack and Casino - 1:22.83
- Cody Ridsdale - O'Chiese Business & Investment Centre - 1:22.88
- Josh Hrynyk - Shel-Bar Electronic Industries Ltd. - 1:22.89
- Ross Knight - Optimum Equipment Solutions - 1:22.94
- Evan Magee - Crush it - Hard Iced Tea - made with Provincial Vodka! - 1:22.99
- Jason Glass - Birchcliff Energy Ltd. - 1:23.15
- Jamie Laboucane - Pidherney's - 1:23.17
- Kirk Sutherland - Pacesetter Equipment Ltd. - 1:23.38
- Layne Flad - The Broda Group - 1:23.54
- Jordie Fike - Rafter G Land and Cattle Company - 1:23.66
- Dean Dreger - Northern Mat & Bridge - 1:23.66
- Roger Moore - Midwest Pipelines Inc. - 1:23.70
- Todd McCracken - Friends of Century Downs Racetrack and Casino - 1:24.00
- Derek Aebly - Jag Flocomponents LLP - 1:24.04
- Mitch Sutherland - The Brakeman Foundation - 1:24.15
- Kris Molle - Chariot Express - 1:24.24
- Troy Flad - Mr. Fireplace - 1:24.70
- Wade Salmond - Pidherney's - 1:24.93
- Chance Flad - Aspen Crossing - 1:25.14
- Chad Fike - West Land Livestock Inc. - 1:25.25
- Tuff Dreger - Wild Rows Pump & Compression Ltd, - 1:26.54
- Darcy Flad - Ference Land & Cattle Corp. - 1:27.23
- Kelly Morin - Century Casinos Horse Racing Club - 1:27.87
- Chance Thomson - Davis Chevrolet GMC Buick - 1:28.99
- Obrey Motowylo - The Co-operators - 1:38.01
- Cruise Bensmiller - Stormy River Ranch - 1:40.03
- Brad McMann - Optimum Equipment Solutions - N.T
In response to Canada's Online News Act and Meta (Facebook and Instagram) removing access to local news from their platforms, HighRiverOnline and OkotokOnline encourage you to get your news directly from your trusted source by bookmarking this page and downloading the HighRiverOnline or OkotoksOnline app.