Christmas is a great time of year for most people who look forward to exchanging gifts and spending time with family and friends.

However it can also be a dangerous time, particularly for fires.

High River Fire Chief Lance Bushie says live Christmas trees pose a real hazard.

"Bringing home a real Christmas tree, you need to be aware of the hazards that surround having those live Christmas trees in your house, and hazards that are associated with them. Best to keep them watered at all times. You don't want them to dry out. Keep them away from any ignition sources such as the fire place, the heater and definitely candles."

Bushie says carbon monoxide poisoning is a real issue as well, saying if you're going to have a log fire, or light a bunch of candles to make sure you crack a window so there's fresh air coming in.

 

Send us your news tips, story ideas and comments at [email protected]

More Local News

Dementia Friendly Communities Bringing Brain Research Study to Okotoks

Dementia Friendly Communities is partnering with the University of Calgary to bring a brain study to Okotoks. The Brain in Motion study examines the relationship between exercise and cognition in…

High River Skating Club Celebrates Spring

The High River Skating Club hosted their annual Spring Carnival Saturday, March 16 at the Bob Snodgrass Recreation Complex. President of the High River Skating Club, Marie Corns says music is always…

National Impaired Driving Prevention Week Wraps Up

The week of March 17th-23rd is National Impaired Driving Prevention Week. The Federal Government and RCMP are working to educate Albertans on impaired driving of all kinds in order to prevent such…

HighRiverOnline.com is High River's only source for community news and information such as weather and classifieds.

Search the Biz Guide

Login