High River Town Council approved spending $125,000 from the Capital Infrastructure Reserve to address the mould issue at the fire hall.
A recent facility assessment on the building found a number of issues ranging from structural, to health, although the most pressing was the mould.
Engineering Coordinator Kailee Erdman, told Council part of the problem is the fire hall was built in the 1980's and the uses of the structure have far surpassed what is was built for.
Council was told this money would take the structure back to the beams and from there decisions will have to be made on repairs.
The money is also to pay for a trailer that has been put on the lot for temporary office space.
Town Manager Tom Maier says it's critical for the future to get on top of all the maintenance that has been pushed off for 10, 20 and even 30 years.
"As we pull back the Band-Aids we will be seeing these problems."
The Fire Hall, issues with the roof at the Bob Snodgrass Recreation Complex, along with the swimming pool are all examples of work that needs to get done.
He adds it's something they can't be afraid of.
"We need to keep things safe for the community and make sure the workers are safe."
Town administration is starting to work on just what the repair work will cost for the Fire Hall.
Send us your news tips, story ideas and comments at [email protected]