And the chuckwagon season is over.
It wrapped up Sunday at Century Downs Racetrack and Casino with Layne MacGillivray taking it all at the World Chuckwagon Finals.
He won the dash of cash final, and he also won the aggregate.
High River's Jason Glass did qualify as one of the top 12 to compete in the playoff series however he ended up in 10th overall.
But as far as who had the most points over the season, that title goes to Chanse Vigen.
This season was also the 100th anniversary of the first chuckwagon races held at the Calgary Stampede.
The top four finalists in the dash for cash final was Layne MacGillivray, Jamie Laboucance, Chanse Vigen and Chad Fike.
Laboucane actually finished with the fastest time but had two penalty seconds added on for a false start.
MacGillivray also won the Calgary Stampede this season along with his outriders, Nolan Cameron, Chanse Flad and Brendan Nolin.
Glass won his heat on Sunday for some nice day money too.
There were two champs crowned on the weekend as Chanse Vigen didn't go home empty handed as he had the most points on the season and clinched the World Chuckwagon Championship title for the first time in his young career by beating out Jamie Laboucane by only three points.
Century Downs "Winners' Zone" Championship Playoff Standings
Final Playoff Total
- Layne MacGillivray - 51 points
- Jamie Laboucane - 44 points
- Chanse Vigen - 44 points (tied for 2nd)
- Chad Fike - 41 points
- Kris Molle - 36 points
- Ross Knight - 32 points
- Wade Salmond - 29 points
- Kurt Bensmiller - 28 points
- Evan Salmond - 27 points
- Jason Glass - 23 points
- Obrey Motowylo - 19 points
- Rae Croteau Jr. - 8 points
Note: Top 4 qualify for the Century Downs "Winners' Zone" Championship Dash.
Jamie Laboucane wins tie breaker for having the better aggregate time among the two tied drivers.
2023 Century Downs "WINNERS' ZONE" Champions
Spray Lakes Sawmills
Layne MacGillivray - Driver
Nolan Cameron, Chance Flad and Brendan Nolin - Outriders
$75,000.00 Century Downs "Winners' Zone" Championship Final Heat (By Barrel Selection)
- Layne MacGillivray - Spray Lakes Sawmills - 1:18.86 - $30,000.00
- Jamie Laboucane - Pidherney's - 1:20.04 - $15,000.00
- Chad Fike - West Land Livestock Inc. - 1:19.01 - $22,500.00
- Chanse Vigen - Banks Family Auto Ltd. - 1:20.59 - $7,500.00
2023 Century Downs Sunday Afternoon Heat Winners
Bonus Money Earned
Heat #1 - Obrey Motowylo - $2,000.00
Heat #2 - Rae Croteau Jr. - $2,500.00
Heat #3 - Chance Thomson - $3,000.00
Heat #4 - Jordie Fike - $3,500.00
Heat #5 - Mitch Sutherland - $4,000.00
Heat #6 - Jason Glass - $4,500.00
Heat #7 - Kurt Bensmiller - $5,000.00
Heat #8 - Kirk Sutherland - $5,500.00
2023 Century Downs Racetrack and Casino Aggregate Champions
Spray Lakes Sawmills
Layne MacGillivray - Driver
Nolan Cameron and Brendan Nolin - Outriders
2023 World Champion Chuckwagon Driver
2023 World Champion Outrider
2023 WPCA Equine Outfit of Excellence
Champion Right Leader - "MAX" - Chanse Vigen
Champion Left Leader - "WILDCAT" - Kris Molle
Champion Right Wheeler - "ROCCO" - Chad Fike
Champion Left Wheeler - "MARSHMALLOW" - Jamie Laboucane
Champion Outriding Horse - "ED" - Jason Glass
Champion Outriding Horse - "RUNNER" - Obrey Motowylo
Day 5 Results
- Layne MacGillivray - *Spray Lakes Sawmills - 1:18.86
- Chad Fike - West Land Livestock Inc. - 1:19.01
- Kurt Bensmiller - Versatile Energy Services Ltd. - 1:19.69
- Kirk Sutherland - Pacesetter Equipment Ltd. - 1:19.73
- Jamie Laboucane - Pidherney's - 1:20.04
- Kris Molle - Chariot Express - 1:20.33
- Mitch Sutherland - The Brakeman Foundation - 1:20.48
- Jason Glass - Birchcliff Energy Ltd. - 1:20.52
- Chanse Vigen - Banks Family Auto Ltd. - 1:20.59
- Evan Magee - Crush it - Hard Iced Tea - made with Provincial Vodka! - 1:20.77
- Wade Salmond - Pidherney's - 1:20.78
- Evan Salmond - De Havilland Aircraft of Canada Ltd. - 1:20.80
- Obrey Motowylo - The Co-operators - 1:20.93
- Ross Knight - Optimum Equipment Solutions - 1:21.03
- Chance Thomson - Davis Chevrolet GMC Buick - 1:21.13
- Rae Croteau Jr. - TOMCO Group of Companies - 1:21.20
- Dustin Gorst - Grande Prairie Airport - 1:21.20
- Dayton Sutherland - Friends of Century Downs Racetrack and Casino - 1:21.27
- Cody Ridsdale - Métis Nation of Alberta - 1:21.46
- Kelly Morin - Century Casinos Horse Racing Club - 1:21.73
- Jordie Fike - Rafter G Land and Cattle Company - 1:21.95
- Chance Flad - Control Tech - 1:22.12
- Chance Bensmiller - Rocky Mountain Aircraft - 1:22.34
- Tuff Dreger - Wild Rows Pump & Compression Ltd, - 1:22.43
- Darcy Flad - Ference Land & Cattle Corp. - 1:22.52
- Layne Flad - The Broda Group - 1:22.87'
- Todd McCracken - Friends of Century Downs Racetrack and Casino - 1:22.95
- Roger Moore - Midwest Pipelines Inc. - 1:23.14
- Cruise Bensmiller - Stormy River Ranch - 1:23.21
- Josh Hrynyk - Shel-Bar Electronic Industries Ltd. - 1:23.23
- Dean Dreger - Northern Mat & Bridge - 1:23.24
- Derek Aebly - Jag Flocomponents LLP - 1:23.77
- Troy Dorchester - Dal-Tek Interiors Ltd. - 1:26.53
- Troy Flad - Mr. Fireplace - 1:27.70
- Doug Irvine - Dal-Tek Interiors Ltd. - 1:28.14
- Brad McMann ** - Optimum Equipment Solutions - 1:29.31
* Track Record Run
** Kris Molle drove for Brad McMann
In response to Canada's Online News Act and Meta (Facebook and Instagram) removing access to local news from their platforms, HighRiverOnline and OkotokOnline encourage you to get your news directly from your trusted source by bookmarking this page and downloading the HighRiverOnline or OkotoksOnline app.